As the metro Denver area gets ready to celebrate Independence Day, many shelters are bracing for a major influx of lost pets.
Check Denver Shelters for your Lost Dog
According to the Dumb Friends League, the number of lost pets brought into its shelters on July 5 nearly doubles. On an average day, the Dumb Friends League receives approximately 26 lost pets between its two shelters (the Quebec Street shelter in Denver and the Buddy Center in Castle Rock), and on July 5, 2011, the League received 51 lost pets. A similar increase is expected this year.
“The loud noise of fireworks often frightens pets and causes them to run away,” said Bob Rohde, president and CEO of the Dumb Friends League. “We strongly encourage all pet owners who are missing their pet or pets to visit all area shelters immediately.”
The Dumb Friends League, in conjunction with the Metro Denver Shelter Alliance, offers the following advice for pet owners looking for their pet:
- Don’t assume your cat or dog will find its way home. Visit or call all area shelters as soon as possible. Metro Denver Shelter Alliance shelters in the metro Denver area that receive lost and found pets include:
- Adams County Animal Shelter/Adoption Center, Brighton
- Aurora Animal Care Division/Shelter, Aurora
- Denver Animal Shelter, Denver
- Dumb Friends League, Denver
- Dumb Friends League Buddy Center, Castle Rock
- Foothills Animal Shelter, Golden
- Humane Society of Boulder Valley, Boulder
- Humane Society of the South Platte Valley, Littleton
- Intermountain Humane Society, Pine
- Longmont Humane Society, Longmont
- File a lost report and give a photo to each of these shelters in case someone brings in your pet.
- Look around your neighborhood and post fliers with your pet’s photo and your contact information, if your neighborhood allows it.
- Most importantly, act fast and don’t give up.
- To increase your chances of being reunited with your pet in the future, make sure your cat or dog is wearing a collar with current ID tags at all times, and consider getting a microchip ID implant for your pet from your veterinarian.
About the Dumb Friends League
Founded in 1910, the Dumb Friends League is the largest community-based animal welfare organization in the Rocky Mountain Region helping pets and people in the Denver metro area and beyond. In 2012, the Dumb Friends League expanded the scope of its services to include providing shelter, care and hope for abused and neglected equines in Colorado. The Dumb Friends League has shelters at 2080 S. Quebec St. in Denver and the Buddy Center at 4556 Castleton Court in Castle Rock, as well as the Dumb Friends League Harmony Equine Center near Franktown. For more information about the Dumb Friends League, visit ddfl.org or call (303) 751-5772.